07 November, 2007

All Things New

I got a new Bible. Perhaps this isn’t necessary information for you to know, but...I got a new Bible. It’s a new translation for me, which is somewhat exciting and as an added bonus, it has a gorgeous fabric and leather cover and bright blue font. Everything about this Bible feels bright and fresh, even the content somehow seems brand new. Perhaps this is why I find myself feeling so hungry to read it. Or, maybe its simply that I’m finally paying attention to the soft gentle voice of God calling out to me, inviting me into His presence, through His Word.

Whatever it is about this new Bible of mine, I’m having a hard time putting it down. If you’re still reading this, you’re probably wondering why I’m telling you all this. I’m not so sure I know the answer to that question myself….ha! I think I just want to give you some encouragement that God meant what He said in the book of James, “Come close to God, and God will come close to you.” I quote this verse to my youth group often, but in this moment, I know better than I have ever known, that this statement is true.


I can't get one of the "new" stories in my "new" Bible off my mind. It’s about Hagar, a servant of Sarah (Abraham's wife). This girl was manipulated and mistreated until she couldn’t take it anymore. Instead of facing up to her problems she ran away. I'm sure this story is not a newsflash to any of you, but stay tuned because the excited "new" segment is coming up...


So, Hagar is out wandering around (hiding, really) when God finds her. He sees her state of distress and hears her cries for help. In reply to His kindness, Hagar says,


“You are the God who sees me.”


I love that! God is the One who sees us. Have you ever been in a room full of people but still somehow felt all alone? Have you ever felt invisible (like Mr. Cellephane)? I know I’ve felt that way, but what a comfort to know that God sees us, and not only so, but He looks at us with love. I can't lie. It feels pretty good to be seen.

4 comments:

Sabrina said...

Thanks, Sweetie, for that bit of encouragement. My head is exploding right now with all the stuff I am learning in my Daniel study. It is so cool to be able to read something you've read before and have it seem brand new.
Love you lots!

Little Miss Sunshine said...

I would just like to say...YOU ARE A FABULOUS PHOTOGRAPHER! I basically LOVE the picture of your bible.
I would also like to say how cool it is that you are learning so many new things. Ever since we started going to berean I have been learning sooooo many new things. I had to go to target and get a whole new folder just to hold all the notes i've been taking. I don't think i've ever felt this knowledgable of the bible and i must say...it's a pretty good feeling. We should talk when you come here...i feel a deep discussion coming on! Perhaps me you and katie could chat over a cup of coffee and bring our bibles...ooooooo that sounds like SO much fun!
I CAN'T WAIT

hannah said...

Grace!
Yes, blogging and blogstalking can be insanely addictive. I found your blog a while ago from your link on facebook and have wanted to tell you (and have forgotten to tell you) that I have enjoyed reading it.

MattCario said...

You got a new NLT Bible...I'm going to tell Holtorf...