12 October, 2007

Kalled to Kisumu, Kenya


I have a sneaking suspicion that anyone who is reading my blog has already heard about the following, but Katie thought I should post it just in case. Who am I to disagree?

This is a letter I sent out to potential supporters about my fast-approaching adventure.

"Less than one month ago I was sitting in an auditorium at a leadership conference in Chicago. Though there was much to be learned throughout every part of this event, there was one underlying theme that struck me on a very personal level. Africa. It was as if God was ever so gently whispering it in my ear. Africa. I cried as I enjoyed the music and the spirit of the African Children’s Choir. My heart grew heavy as I listened to stories of churches who are working tirelessly to make a difference to African communities plagued by the AIDS pandemic. The whisper grew louder as I listened to speaker after speaker encouraging church leaders to find our strengths and follow our passions. Africa.


Looking back I know that these were not the first whispers. When I was only five years old I remember sitting in the downstairs lobby of my church listening to the stories of a family of missionaries to Africa. I remember the beauty of their traditional dress, their handmade treasures and, I even remember the way the sun was pouring in through the window behind them and seemingly shining around them. I remember thinking, I want to do that.

Six days after returning home from Chicago, I was helping at an LCMS District event when I was approached by Dan Deuel, pastor of St. Andrew Lutheran Church in Stockton. “Have you ever had any interest in overseas mission work?” he asked. “Yes!” I responded, without hesitation. “Why do you want to know?” Pastor Dan went on to explain that He was planning to take a group of missionaries to Kenya this February. “The first meeting is tomorrow. Can you make it?” “I’m there”, I blurted out.


All of a sudden I find myself in the middle of an adventure that I was not expecting, but one that I have been waiting for. I’m going to Kenya, Africa! And even more exciting than the destination is the mission. On February 13-28 2008, along with 6 other missionaries, I will be leading a church leadership conference for clergy and lay leaders of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Kenya. I will also have the awesome opportunity to work with the street boys of Kisumu, Kenya and hold a VBS for children with special needs.


...Thank you all for the love and support I have already received and for your support of this ministry. Through you I am blessed and the Kingdom of God is furthered."


“O God our savior, You are the hope

of everyone on earth…” Psalm 65:5


7 comments:

Katie said...

You have done an amazing job with your blog so far; I can't wait to read more. Love you!

Kali said...

Tell me how i can help and what i can pray for.

Little Miss Sunshine said...

I do believe you spelled "called" wrong.

Erika said...

Hi Grace! Darin and I just got your note in the mail on Saturday! We're so excited about your plans to go to Africa. Also, I wanted to let you know that I've "tagged" you. I thought you could use a little "push" to keep plugging away at your new blog! Go to my blog and look at the most recent post to find out what that means!

Sabrina said...

UPDATE!!! Please.

Jamie Lynn said...

Gracie! I know that you know that I know you're going to where my heart is. I'm just terribly excited for you so if there's anything you want/need me to do for you from way up north, let me know! (Me=Jealous)

Grace said...

thanks jamie j :) you're really sweet. i can sense you're enthusiasm all the way from alaska.