07 August, 2008

Now that I have seen...

Hello all. It's been a little over a month since my feet landed safely on American soil. I've spent that month mulling over memories of Africa: the poverty, the disease, the desperation, the joy, the singing, the hope. I think it's safe to say I will never be the same--nor would I want to go back to what I was.

Upon arriving back in the U.S. I was introduced to an artist, Brooke Fraser, who has spent a significant amount of time in Rwanda, Africa. Her song, "Albertine" has been on repeat in my van for weeks. You can check out a video of her song here.

Here are the chorus lyrics:
Now that I have seen, I am responsible
Faith without deeds is dead
Now that I have held you
In my own arms
I cannot let go till you are

It's hard explain, but after witnessing such desolation, I really do have a deep seated feeling of responsibility toward the nation of Kenya. How can I hear the stories of dozens of women who have lost their families to AIDS, who are also HIV positive, and just walk away? How can I hug, sing with, and play with street children who literally own nothing other than the torn shirts on their backs and go back to my home and a family who loves me? How can I teach a group of pastors who minister to a dozen churches each, traveling hours by bike, boat or other modes of public transportation to each congregation each week, and go back to my van with air conditioning and cd player? How can I return to my comparatively easy life when they are fighting just to keep theirs? Now that I have seen, I am responsible. Where do I go from here? I pray God will reveal it to me in no uncertain terms. I realize that I cannot singlehandedly solve the world's problems, but there must be something I (we) can do. I'll try and keep you all updated as I flesh all of this out with God's help.

For now, I'll post some long-overdue pictures!




School children in their uniforms. Beautiful smiles! Most kids in Kenya don't see cameras all too often, so when we asked to take their picture, they were more than happy to oblige.



These little girls all crowded around me after church on my first Sunday in Kenya. They pet my skin, touched my face, and played with my hair, all while giggling and talking a mile-a-minute in Kiswahili. A woman sitting nearby informed me that they were saying "Your hair is slippery, and your ears are beautiful!"




These are some of the street children that we ministered to. So silly! These boys wander the streets carrying bottles of glue, which they inhale. They beg for food and money, but most people in Kenya are unsympathetic if not downright mean to them. In a city of 200,000 people, there are 1,500 to 2,000 little boys (age 9-18) living on the street.




This little boy, Davis, has a disease (probably empitygo) which is causing an outbreak on his face and mouth. The cost of medicine would probably be no more than $10, if someone could afford to buy him treatment...





This is me teaching a group of village kids about Holy Week. The kids are waving palm branches that they made and singing "hosanna to the King of kings!"





Here are some sweet kiddos who hung out outside of a conference that my team and I were holding for Lutheran Pastors in Kenya. We had a great time playing with them, despite a language barrier.





Here I am between Isaiah and Evans, two new friends of mine who will soon be ordained pastors!





More kids at the pastor's conference. They were taking turns bouncing in my lap while singing...they loved the funny sounds they could make as they bounced.





Here is one of the rooms I stayed in at a guest house in Kisumu. Notice the mosquito net. Malaria is the 2nd highest killer in Africa. It could easily be prevented if everyone could afford to have one of these nets above their beds at night. Cost = $10


More on Africa to come...

Lots of love to all of you who supported this trip financially and through prayer! Sorry I've been so slow to tell you about it. I'll get a letter to you all in the mail very soon!


3 comments:

Mama Gail said...

I've been waiting for his post! What a profound & beautiful experience. The pictures and stories are wonderful.

Katie said...

At long last!!! Love the pictures. :)

Jamie Lynn said...

Thanks for telling me you'd posted about our beloved Africa! Wonderful pictures that make me want to run home to look at mine... I believe I spent some time in Kisumu as well. Small world, huh Gracie?